These homey waffles add up to an awfully good reason to get up in the morning. The pear sauce is easy and delicious, but for a quick substitute try applesauce, sautéed apples or pears, maple syrup, or pecans.
- Yield: 6 large waffles
For the Pear Sauce:
- 4 ripe pears, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/4 cup wildflower or other medium-colored honey
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
For the Waffles:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground dried ginger
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup canola oil or corn oil
- 1 egg
- Make the sauce: Place the pears, honey, and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, or until the fruit is soft. Add the lemon juice and mash with a potato masher. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger in a medium bowl. Add the milk, molasses, oil, and egg, and stir until well combined. Cook in a waffle iron, for about 90 seconds. (The cooking time will vary with your waffle iron and with your preference for doneness.) Serve immediately, with the pear sauce.