Top this drink with a paper umbrella and you’ll be transported on an instant vacation.
What to buy: Cream of coconut is a thick mixture of coconut and sugar typically used in tropical drinks like Piña Coladas and can be found next to the drink mixes at your local supermarket.
Maraschino liqueur is a relatively dry liqueur with a subtle bitter-almond flavor; it can be found at any well-stocked liquor store.
Game plan: You’ll need an ice cream maker for this recipe, so be sure to get the bowl of the maker in the freezer and fully frozen before you start.
This recipe was featured as part of our Common Appliances, Uncommon Uses story.
Click here to watch the CHOW Test Kitchen’s Amy Wisniewski make this frozen cocktail in her CHOW Tip Video.
- Yield: 6 – 8 drinks
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 30 mins, plus chilling time
- Active: 5 mins
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 (16-ounce) can cream of coconut
- 1 cup light rum
- 1/4 cup maraschino liqueur
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Combine all ingredients in a large 2-quart container and stir until thoroughly mixed. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled, about 3 hours.
- Once chilled, turn on an ice cream maker and pour in the coconut mixture. Spin in the ice cream maker until thick and slushy, about 20 to 30 minutes. Keep cocktail chilled in the ice cream maker base while serving.