This recipe was featured as part of our Thanksgiving for Beginners menu.
- Yield: 6 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 50 mins
- Active: 30 mins
- 4 pounds russet potatoes
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Wash and peel the potatoes, then cut them into large chunks and place in a large pot.
- Cover the potatoes with cold water by 1 to 2 inches and add a generous amount of salt. (You want the water to taste like the ocean.) Place the pot on the stove over high heat.
- Once the water boils, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes can easily be pierced with a knife, about 20 minutes.
- Drain in a colander and let the potatoes rest in the sink while you prepare the butter and cream.
- Combine the butter and cream in the pot you cooked the potatoes in. Cook over low heat, stirring, until the butter has melted and the cream is hot.
- Turn off the heat and add the drained potatoes. Using a potato masher, mash until the potatoes are fluffy and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.