A classic creamy mushroom pasta bake recipe, with penne, cremini mushrooms, fresh thyme, homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup, and melted cheese.
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 50 mins
- Active: 20 mins
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 1 pound sliced cremini mushrooms
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup (recipe link in intro)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyère, Fontina, or white cheddar cheese
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water to al dente according to package directions. Drain and return to the pot.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 1 1/2-quart baking dish generously with butter.
- In a frying pan, melt the butter. Saute the mushrooms, thyme, and a pinch of salt, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender. Remove the thyme stems.
- Add the mushrooms, soup, and 1 cup cheese to the cooked pasta. Stir to combine and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining cheese. Bake until bubbly and golden, about 30 minutes.