John Chan received our contest-winning advice from Ruth Kennedy, an admirable midwifery teacher with a vibrant reputation in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Recipe: Tomato and Avocado Grilled Cheese
This sandwich has all the melted, cheesy flavor of grilled cheese, but with added benefits. Whole wheat bread provides filling fiber, avocado slices add healthy monounsaturated fats and a punch of antioxidants, and tomato adds a dose of lycopene. Extra virgin olive oil replaces butter and incorporates heart-healthy fats into this lunchbox staple.
Tomato and Avocado Grilled Cheese
What You’ll Need:
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2 slices whole wheat bread
2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 an avocado, sliced
1/2 a tomato, sliced
What to Do:
- Heat a pan over medium-low heat. (Or plug in the Panini press!)
- Brush olive oil onto one side of a bread slice and lay into a pan, oil side down.
- Assemble the sandwich. (Bread, cheese, avocado, tomato, cheese, topped with a second slice of bread works best!)
- Lightly brush the top slice of bread with the remaining oil.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, or until bread turns golden brown and cheese begins to melt.
- Flip, and cook on the other side until bread is browned and cheese is completely melted.
Comments Leave a comment
I am hungry now! I love anything with tomato and cheese on it. I think adding pesto will enhance the taste more. I like to put the pesto on the outside of the sandwich and grill it in a non-stick pan. The pine nuts toast a little, the garlic becomes a bit more mild and the cheese melts into a pleasingly crunchy crust. You've inspired the cook in me today!
How many calories...
I'm a vegetarian and my husband in preparing our Super Bowl snack made this for me. It was delicious. I'm going to share it on my blog. Go to www.jemawatts.blogspot.com to view.