Recipe: Tomato and Avocado Grilled Cheese
This sandwich has all the melted, cheesy flavor of grilled cheese, but with added benefits. Whole wheat bread provides filling fiber, avocado slices add healthy monounsaturated fats and a punch of antioxidants, and tomato adds a dose of lycopene. Extra virgin olive oil replaces butter and incorporates heart-healthy fats into this lunchbox staple.
Tomato and Avocado Grilled Cheese
What You’ll Need:
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2 slices whole wheat bread
2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 an avocado, sliced
1/2 a tomato, sliced
What to Do:
- Heat a pan over medium-low heat. (Or plug in the Panini press!)
- Brush olive oil onto one side of a bread slice and lay into a pan, oil side down.
- Assemble the sandwich. (Bread, cheese, avocado, tomato, cheese, topped with a second slice of bread works best!)
- Lightly brush the top slice of bread with the remaining oil.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, or until bread turns golden brown and cheese begins to melt.
- Flip, and cook on the other side until bread is browned and cheese is completely melted.
HEALTH SITE LIKE THIS.
Seriously, we cite every fact with a scientific study!
Once we put a Shake Weight to the test...
We help you find what healthy means to you.