Need a quick, filling, vegetarian-friendly snack or easy lunch? Try these simple (and super cheesy) stuffed tomatoes.
31 Healthier Store-Bought Snacks (Under 150 Calories)
While we all might wish fresh fruits and veggies could easily be at our disposal at all times, sometimes that just isn’t the case. Plus, it can be a hassle to package fresh foods for easy transport and throw them in a bag for later. (Smooshed bananas? Not so appetizing…) So when the options are limited and we’re faced with trying to find a healthy prepackaged snack alternative, look no further than this list. Here are 31 of the healthiest choices out there (one for every day of the month). *Note: DV = recommended daily value
Snacks for Every Day
1. Siggi's Skyr 100 calories, 14 g protein, 7-9g sugar If you’re a fan of Greek yogurt, get ready to meet Skyr, its thicker and creamier Icelandic cousin. The best part is that Skyr is naturally and traditionally made with skim milk (i.e. it’s always fat-free). All their flavors are fantastic, but my favorite has to be pomegranate and passion fruit, or grapefruit (sprinkled with a bit of brown sugar, if I’m feeling indulgent).
2. Cal-organic/Grimmway Carrot Dippers 110 calories, 1g protein, 4g sugar, 60% DV vitamin A Baby carrots — a classic healthy snack food — combined with a handy dandy single serving of low-fat ranch dressing make this one of my favorite prepackaged snacks. Anything that makes fresh fruits and veggies easy to throw in a backpack — I’m game.
3. Clif Kid Z Bar Chocolate Brownie 120 cal, 11g sugar, 3g protein, 3g fiber, 35% DV vitamin C, 30% DV vitamin B1 and folate, 20% DV vitamin B6 Okay, okay. You caught us. Kids’ Clif bars might be even better than the “adult” versions. Reason number one? Smaller portions means it’s easier to justify a whole bar as a mid-day snack (versus other options which can serve better as meal replacements!). Plus, the Chocolate Brownie bar has a little protein and fiber to keep us full for a few hours, but without too much sugar or too many calories.
4. SmartPop! Kettle Korn Mini Bags 100 calories, 4g protein Throw an un-popped envelope of this kettle korn in that computer bag in the morning or pop ahead of time and store in a plastic zip-top bag. With just a hint of sweet n’ salty, these 100-calorie bags are a perfect snack to last a while (1 bag contains a few cups of popped corn) with few calories.
5. KIND Mini Cranberry Almond + Antioxidants 115 calories, 7g sugar, 2g protein, 30% DV vitamins A, C, E These are a staple at Greatist HQ. The mini-sized KIND bars are perfect for a small midmorning snack. Plus, the enhanced bars have added goodies such as vitamins, A, C, and E.
6. Luna Mini S’mores 70 calories, 5g sugar, 4g protein, 15% DV calcium, and vitamins B2 and B3, 30% DV vitamin B6, 40%DV folate We’re huge fans of Luna bars, but the regular size can be a tad large for a snack. The minis on the other hand? Perfection! They’re big enough to hold us offer for an hour until lunch time, but small enough that two can serve as a pretty substantial snack.
7. Kashi Honey Almond Flax Chewy Granola Bar 140 calories, 5g sugar, 7g protein, 15% DV fiber Whole grains, roasted nuts, dried fruit, and honey come together in this chewy bar that completely trumps the other classic chewy bars on the market. Why, you ask? This one’s much lower in sugar, and offers a good amount of protein and fiber, too.
8. Blue Diamond 100-Calorie Almond Packs 100 calories, 3-4g protein, 1-3g sugar, 20% DV vitamin E These perfectly portioned almond snack packs are a great way to fill that craving for roasted nuts without downing the whole bag (guilty as charged). They come in both sweet (Cinnamon Brown Sugar or Dark Chocolate) and savory (Wasabi Soy Sauce, Sea Salt, and Lightly Salted), as well as au natural. Perfect to keep on hand for when hunger strikes.
9. Terra Mediterranean Chips 140 calories, 3g sugar, 16% DVfiber Chips, and a serving of vegetables… at the same time? This snack is certainly a mixed bag. Sweet potato, parsnip, taro, yucca, and batata (bata-who?) make up this blend, flavored with garlic, oregano, and olive oil. These make the perfect sophisticated savory snack and are a great substitute for that classic potato chip craving.
10. Trader Joes Oats and Flax Oatmeal 150 calories, 4g protein, 11g sugar, 12% DV fiber When it’s rainy or there’s a chill in the air, few things are better than a warm bowl of oatmeal mid-morning to fill up that belly. Try this version for an extra serving of flax (oh hey, omega 3s!).
11. Quaker Quakes Chocolate 120 calories, 7g sugar, 2g protein
Stop. Rice cakes are no longer that cardboard-flavored (and textured) “diet food” that have been dreaded for years. These little guys come in a bunch of flavors (sweet and savory!), but the combo of low calories and sugar, and a little punch of protein, makes the chocolate flavor the best bang for your buck.
12. StarKist Ready-Made Albacore Tuna Salad Packet 90 calories, 10g protein Three words: Protein, protein, protein. With just 90 calories and a whole 10 grams of protein, chowing down on this premade classic tuna salad will certainty stop the hunger pangs until dinner time. Pair with some whole grain crackers or stalks of celery to get a little fancy.
13. Everybody’s Nuts Salt and Pepper Pistachios 130 calories, 5g protein, 1g sugar News flash: Pistachios are one of the healthiest nuts out there, they even made it on our superfood list. The nutritional highlights here are protein and fiber, and (surprisingly) potassium.
14. Del Monte Fruit Naturals No Sugar Added Red Grapefruit 80 calories, 12g sugar, 100% DV vitamin Okay, so nothing will beat the whole natural grapefruit, split in half, sectioned, and sprinkled with a little sugar. But who wants to carry around a giant orb of citrus, let alone try to section it off while on-the-go? These little all-natural cups make it way easier to enjoy. The fruit slices are kept in a no-sugar-added juice to keep ‘em fresh (and its delicious to drink when the fruit’s all gone!)
15. Crunchmaster Multi-Grain Crackers with Sea Salt 140 calories, 3g protein, 12% DV fiber These crunchy delights are packed with healthy grains like sesame seeds, quinoa, amaranth, and flax seeds. Baked, not fried, they’re lower in fat than similar crunch-filled options. Plus, they’re gluten-free!
16. Rabbits Squeaky Cheeky Choco Cherry Bunny Bar 120 calories, 3g protein, 8g sugar, 8% DV fiber How, oh how, can we not love something with such an adorable name? This bar is a winner, stuffed full of 18 Rabbits granola featuring sunflower, pumpkin, and chia seeds, and dried cherries (one of our favorite summer superfoods).
17. Stretch Island Fruit Co. Fruit Strips 45 calories, 9g sugar (in Mango, Cherry, Strawberry, and Raspberry flavors) When carrying around fresh fruit isn’t an option, these fruit leathers are a great and easy way to satisfy those sugar cravings. Store them in the freezer to make this sweet snack last a little longer.
18. Chobani Yogurt Cups
100-120 calories, 13 g sugar, 8-16 g protein, 10-20% DV calcium
We can’t get enough of these Greek yogurt cups. Whether it’s the “adult-sized” 6oz. cups or the kid’s cups (called Chobani Champions), Chobani is often found in the Greatist refrigerator any time of the year. Our favorite options for a high-protein portable snack without too much sugar? The classic vanilla cup or the Honey-Nanna Chobani Champions cup (each containing 13g of sugar).
19. Pirates Booty Aged White Cheddar
130 calories, 2g protein
This puffed rice and corn snack is flavored with real white cheddar cheese (yumm) and baked (possibly by pirates) to crispy perfection. While the best part is probably the name (and adorable packaging), it also earns extra cool points for being gluten-free and trans fat-free. Arrrrrgh!
20. Polly-O 2% String Cheese 70 calories, 8g protein, 15% DV calcium Flashback to school lunchbox land with this handy dandy snack. They’re super portable and provide a perfect snack-sized dose of protein to stave off hunger a bit longer. Plus, they’re fun to eat. Just don’t let your boss see you eating it like a five year old…
21. Sweet Potato Pop Chips 100 calories, 1 g protein, 2 g sugar Pop chips are a great option when craving something crunchy and salty to replace the classic potato chips or flavored pretzels. A whole bag is just 100 calories, and they’re air popped instead of fried or baked.
22. Mediterranean Snacks Baked Roasted Red Pepper Lentil Chips 110 calories, 2g sugar, 4g protein, 15% DV vitamin C Ladies and gents, they’ve finally done it: Chips made out of lentils. And they’re actually delicious! The base is made from lentils, garbanzo beams, and adzuki beans, which is what adds the protein to this snack. For a larger snack (and when not confined to the driver’s seat or desk chair), try dipping in hummus or eating with fresh olive tapenade.
23. Bare Fruit Cinnamon Apple Chips 29 calories, 4g sugar Two ingredients: Organic apples, organic cinnamon. This combo makes for a great snacking option anywhere, anytime. Also give one of Bare Fruit’s other options a try — the chips come in Granny Smith, Fiji Apple, Pear, Cherry, and Mango varieties, too.
24. Trader Joes Dried String Beans 130 calories, 2g protein, 5g sugar, 15% DV vitamin A Yes, it sounds strange. But somehow, some way, Trader Joes discovered the secret to a really, really good dried green bean — and this snack is proof. There’s a hint of sweetness from the vegetable’s natural flavor, but it balances well with the light saltiness and seriously awesome crunch.
25. Genisoy Rich Cheddar Cheese Soy Crisps 130 calories, 5g protein, 1g sugar Kind of like a cross between a classic chip and a mini rice cake, these soy crisps are a great alternative to classic crunchy snacks. Plus, the five grams of protein will help keep you full.
26. Laughing Cow Mini Babybel Light 50 calories, 6g protein, 20% DV calcium The most redeeming quality of these miniature cheese wheels is that they’re so dang cute! (Many people have figured out to make them even cuter.) But they are also a great source of protein and calcium, and are super easy to carry as an easy healthy snack (especially when paired with a small apple or a few whole grain crackers).
27. Breakstone’s Pineapple Cottage Cheese Doubles 130 calories, 11g protein, 14g sugar, 15% DV calcium Yes, cottage cheese is one of those classic “diet foods” that everyone loves to hate. But no, it doesn’t have to taste like diet food to be considered healthy! While purists might be happier with a plain single-serve cottage cheese cup, for those that want a little added flavor, these cottage cheese doubles pair classic cottage cheese with yummy fruit sides (our favorite is pineapple). Perfect mid-day snack material right here!
28. Low-Fat Fig Newmans 110 calories, 2g protein, 12g sugar A somewhat healthier version of the classic Fig Newton (the ingredient list is about half as long, and you get one extra gram of protein per serving), these little bars are a great option for a sweet snack that won’t break the calorie or sugar banks.
29. Lesser Evil Veggie Krinkle Sticks 120 calories, 2g protein, 11% DV vitamin C Made from four types of vegetables and seven whole grains, these crunchy treats are a great (and fun) snack for both adults or kids. Not in the mood for veggies? The Krinkle sticks also come in other flavors including cheddar, sour cream and onion, and sea salt (and these three are gluten-free).
30. Fiber One Oats and Peanut Butter Bar 140 calories, 9g sugar, 3g protein, 35% DV fiber It’s not just the digestive system that can thank fiber for proper functioning; it’s the heart, too! These bars are packed with fiber, and also satisfy a peanut butter craving. This is a great substitute for a candy bar when those pangs hit
31. Low-Fat Fudgesicle Pop 60 calories, 9g sugar, 10% DV calcium Fudgesicles. Because, well, who doesn’t need a classic creamy, cold, chocolate treat every once in a while? (Especially in August!) Even better that it’s on a stick.
What are your favorite prepackaged snacks? Let us know your picks in the comments below.