If you start the day on the right foot, chances are the rest will follow in stride. These muffins earn some major healthy points by embracing the glory of fruit- and vegetable-based ingredients. Zucchini is relatively tame—it’s not outrageously flavorful, so it works well in muffins because it provides the serving of vegetables and extra moisture without tasting like “health food”.
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup grated zucchini (about 1 large zucchini)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together applesauce, oil, milk, banana, and honey. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in zucchini.
- Pour mixture into lightly greased muffin cups, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tops have browned.