This sandwich has all the melted, cheesy flavor of grilled cheese, but with added benefits. Whole wheat bread provides filling fiber, avocado slices add healthy monounsaturated fats and a punch of antioxidants, and tomato adds a dose of lycopene. Extra virgin olive oil replaces butter and incorporates heart-healthy fats into this lunchbox staple.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced
- 1/2 a tomato, sliced
What to Do:
- Heat a pan over medium-low heat. (Or plug in the Panini press!)
- Brush olive oil onto one side of a bread slice and lay into a pan, oil side down.
- Assemble the sandwich. (Bread, cheese, avocado, tomato, cheese, topped with a second slice of bread works best!)
- Lightly brush the top slice of bread with the remaining oil.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, or until bread turns golden brown and cheese begins to melt.
- Flip, and cook on the other side until bread is browned and cheese is completely melted.