My daughter and I make this in our Cooking School, which I write about on my blog/site UNCONFIDENTIALCOOK.COM. The recipe was handed down from my college roommate’s grandmother, who emigrated from Italy and was a fantastic cook.
- Yield: 4 servings
- Difficulty: Medium
- Total: 30 minutes
- Active: 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken
- 1 stick butter, melted
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs (1 1/2 cups plain crumbs, with 1 T grated Parmesan, 1 t. minced Italian parsley, 1 clove minced garlic, salt and pepper to taste)
- 1/4 lb. salt pork, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 lb. provolone, cut into thin strips
- Bay leaves
- Bamboo skewers (at least 6 inches long)
- Cut chicken into 2-inch strips (about 2 inches by 3 inches), and pound until thin.
- Brush with melted butter. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Take 1 to 2 pieces of salt pork, 1 to 2 pieces of provolone and lay them on one end of the chicken strips. Roll tightly.
- Skewer with a bay leaf between each piece. Brush with melted butter, sprinkle with bread crumbs and broil for up to 8 minutes. Turn and repeat.