Create simply delicious spiced walnut snacks and appetizers. Adjust the ingredients to create savory, hot or sweet delights.
- Yield: 8 servings
- Total: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Active: 15 minutes
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp. water
- 2 cups California walnut halves and pieces
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. allspice
- Preheat oven to 225°F and line a large shallow baking pan with foil.
- Combine the egg white and water. Beat until foamy.
- Add the walnuts and toss to coat.
- Pour the mixture into a strainer and let drain 2-3 minutes.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon and allspice in a plastic or paper bag, shaking the bag to mix.
- Add the walnuts; hold the bag shut and shake vigorously to coat the nuts.
- Spread nuts in one layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Cool completely, stirring occasionally and breaking nuts apart if stuck together.
- Don’t worry if they stick to the foil, it is easy to peel them off.
- Store in a tightly-capped jar.