For this chill, summery salad adapted from Rachael Ray, ripe plum tomatoes, red onions, and cucumbers combine in an elegantly simple vinaigrette with a touch of smoky paprika. Buy the ripest, peak-season tomatoes you can find. Bring it to your next picnic or potluck with another light dish such as our salmon salad recipe.
- Yields: 4 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 30 mins
- Active: 5 mins
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 medium ripe, firm plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 medium red onion, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 1 small unwaxed Persian cucumber (or 1/2 an English cucumber), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- Combine the vinegar, smoked paprika, a big pinch of kosher salt, black pepper, and olive oil in a screw-top jar. Shake vigorously, then taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary with additional salt and black pepper. (Alternately, in a small bowl, whisk together the the vinegar, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil. Taste and add more seasoning as needed.) Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, onions, and cucumber. Add the dressing and toss to combine.
- Let stand at room temperature for the flavors to combine, about 20 minutes. Re-toss just before serving.