Sinseollo – Another dish from the Royal courts of Korea, Sinseollo means Pot or Food of the Mountain Gods. Traditional Sinseollo is prepared in a special cooking pot that combines a stove and pot in one. The pot looks something like a bundt pan with a stand, but the hole in the center has a bottom and hot coals or stones are placed in the hole to heat the dish. Later variations were adapted for gas burners or sterno like containers. This recipe is just one version, many other ingredients may be used with or instead of the ones in this version.
Note: This is part of a series of Korean Royal Cuisine dishes. Click on the “Korean Royal Cuisine Series” tag in the left column to see more Royal Dishes.
- Yield: 4 servings
- Total: About 1 hour
- Active: 1 hour
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 bunch Korean parsley
- 1/2 medium Onion
- 4 ounces beef
- 4 ounces cod
- 6 leeks
- 4 eggs
- 12 Pyogo (shiitake) mushroom
- 15 shelled/peeled Ginkgo nuts
- 4 ounces finely chopped Beef
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces beef
- 1/2 medium onion
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 Cups beef stock
- Preparation Sprinkle beef and sliced cod very lightly with salt and pepper. Cut Pyogo mushroom and carrot into 1/8 by 1 1/2 inch strips. Remove leaves from parsley and cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths. Cut onion in half from top to bottom.
- Make Meat Balls Combine chopped beef, flour, egg, salt and pepper and mix well. Divide the mix into 16 pieces and shape each piece into a ball. Place in a well oiled pan and fry until well browned.
- Onion Thin slice 1/2 onion and quickly brown in a hot lightly oiled pan.
- Beef Thin slice 4 ounces of beef, then cut each slice into strips about 1/8 inch thick by 1 1/12 inch long. Place beef hot lightly oiled pan and quickly fry until just browned.
- Cod Beat egg. Thin slice the cod then dredge each slice through flour, dip in egg, and quickly fry in a hot lightly oiled pan until golden brown.
- Eggs: Separate yolks from whites. Whip yolks together then pour into a hot lightly oiled pan, tipping the pan to spread the yolk, and cook until lightly browned on both sides. Cut into roughly 1/8 wide strips, then cut the strips into 1 1/2 inch lengths. Repeat with egg whites.
- Leeks Cut in half from bottom to top, then cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths.
- Broth Thin slice the beef. Thin slice the onion half from top to bottom Thin slice garlic from top to bottom Add sliced beef, garlic, and onion to the beef broth in a pot. Bring to a slow boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium and cook for ten minutes. Remove beef from the stock.
- Final In a large round pot arrange the cod, leeks, mushroom, egg white strips, parsley, carrot, onion, beef strips, egg yolk strips, and boiled beef slices lengthwise from the outside of the pot to the center, each ingredient slightly overlapping the other. Scatter Ginkgo and meatballs over the top. Gently pour the stock into the pot and bring to a slow boil over medium heat without stirring.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with rice and ban chan.