Our sustainably sourced skate from our friends at Sea to Table is a mild, white, flaky fish. We love it with Chef Elana’s fresh caper sauce and a paprika aioli that’s so good, it might not make it off your spoon. Oh, and did we mention the Spanish equivalent of roasted french fries on the side? Because they’re here. And delicious.by Plated
- Yields: 2 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 50 mins
- Active: 20 mins
- 2 skate wings
- 1 lemon
- 8 ounces fingerling potatoes
- 6 ounces sunchokes (also known as Jerusalem artichokes)
- 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 2 packets (2 tablespoons) mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 packets (about 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Heat oven to 425°F. Rinse skate and pat very dry with paper towels. Halve lemon. Rinse potatoes and sunchokes and cut potatoes in half lengthwise and sunchokes into 1-inch pieces. Rinse parsley and pick leaves, discarding stems. Mince garlic.
- On a baking sheet toss potatoes and sunchokes with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and arrange in a single layer, cut-side down, on a baking sheet. Place in oven and roast until golden brown and tender, about 20 minutes.
- While vegetables roast, in a small bowl combine mayonnaise, paprika, garlic, and juice of 1/2 lemon. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Season skate on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 packet (about 1 tablespoon) butter and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. When butter is foamy, add skate and cook until golden brown and cooked through, pressing down if fish curls up, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return pan from fish to medium heat and add white wine, capers, and 1 squeeze lemon juice. Cook until liquid has reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in parsley and remaining butter. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Add fish back to pan and turn to coat in sauce.
- Divide skate with sauce, potatoes, and sunchokes between 2 plates. Serve aioli alongside potatoes and sunchokes for dipping.