This is a great easy appetizer which is savory and great! Blue cheese (but if you don’t like blue … use cheddar. I like gorgonzola honestly, crispy bacon a little shallot for some tang, fresh rosemary stuffed in a mini red skinned potato. Great warm or room temperature. Perfect football food. A great make ahead appetizer. Pop in the oven and15 minutes later … enjoy!
- Yields: Appetizers, makes 25-30 potatoes
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 45 minutes
- Active: 30 minutes
- 25-30 small round red skinned potatoes (all about the same size if possible) At the store or farmers market I pick out my own. This works best.
- 1 small container 8 oz crumbled gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 shallots fine chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary fine chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup crumbled bacon (approx. 4 strips)
- First I boil the potatoes. I boil in salted boiling water for 10 minutes until slightly soft but not overdone. Then I cut a small slice over the top of the potato and use a melon baller or small spoon to scoop out the potato. If they are larger potatoes, you can cut them in half. Depends on the size.
- In a small saute pan saute the chopped bacon until crisp, remove and drain. Reserve just a 1/2 teaspoon of the drippings, just a small amount to saute the onion in.
- Once the onion has cooked a few minutes remove and let cool. Add the onion, bacon, blue cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper, and rosemary.
- Use a small spoon to spoon the filling into the potato. I like to bake on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes. I don’t really worry about if they roll over during baking. The cheese will not run out. This is a great easy appetizer. Make ahead and reheat before serving.