If you’re not familiar with Meyer lemons, here’s a quick run down: They have a deep yellow, smooth, thin skin and are quite a bit sweeter and more subtle than their standard lemon kin. These muffins are low in sugar and swap out butter for heart-healthy olive oil.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup lemon Greek yogurt
- 1Meyer lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place eight muffin liners in a muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together olive oil, sugar, yogurt, and lemon juice and zest until fully combined. Add egg and vanilla, and mix thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in two additions, stirring until just combined. Fold in chia seeds.
- Pour batter into muffin liners, filling 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until muffins are golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.