Adding a bit of pumpkin purée, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a basic cream cheese frosting gives it holiday appeal. It’s also easy to make: Just beat butter and cream cheese together in a mixer, then add powdered sugar and spices, and throw in the pumpkin at the end. Use it to frost pumpkin cupcakes, carrot cake, or ginger cake.
- Yield: About 3 cups
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 15 mins
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 1/3 cup pumpkin purée (not pie filling)
- Place the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl and whisk to combine; set aside.
- Place the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until fully combined and smooth, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the speed to low, slowly add the powdered sugar mixture, and beat until fully incorporated and smooth, about 3 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the paddle and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed, add the pumpkin, and mix until fully incorporated and smooth, about 1 minute. Use immediately.