I am obsessed with citrus zest, and I am not that into sweets. Hence the addition to these blueberry muffins which were already damn near perfect!
- Yields: 24-30 standard muffins, 12-15 jumbo
- Difficulty: Medium
- Total: 1 hour
- Active: 25 minutes
- 1 cup butter, room temp
- zest of 3-4 medium lemons, preferably Meyer
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 t vanilla
- 4 cups AP flour
- 4 t baking powder
- 1 T kosher salt
- 4 cups blueberries; fresh preferably but frozen would work as well
- 1 cup milk
- 2 t coarse sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375. Cream butter with sugar and zest for 3-4 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix till well combined.
- Toss the blueberries with 2/3 cup of flour and sift the remaining flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the milk. Fold in the blueberries.
- Grease a muffin tin with butter or line with cupcake papers. Distribute batter among muffin holes — in my tin, each cup was filled above the rim with batter. Sprinkle batter with raw sugar. Bake for 23-30 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of minutes more.
- enjoy warm or room temp, possibly reheated with some more butter! everything’s better with butter….