Game plan: When creaming butter and sugar, use a stand mixer on medium speed. Butter should be soft but never melted. Stop after one minute and scrape down the bowl with a plastic paddle. Repeat a couple of times until the sugar is completely dissolved. If you don’t have a mixer, leave the butter out the night before (to prevent a sore arm!).
- Yields: 1 dozen large or 3 dozen small cookies
- 3/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup stone-ground whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups granola, such as Metropolitan Bakery Granola
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and whole-wheat flour. Stir in the oats.
- Cream together the butter with the sugars until light in color. Add the egg and vanilla. Mix until incorporated. Add the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated. Fold in the granola.
- Place heaping tablespoons of cookie dough onto baking trays 1 inch apart and flatten cookies slightly. Place the trays in the upper third of the preheated oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool. Serve cookies alone or with vanilla ice cream