Tartar sauce is the classic accompaniment to fried seafood, a cooling, tangy presence on the plate. Our classic jalapeño tartar recipe starts with store-bought mayonnaise and mixes in capers, pickles, scallions, lemon juice, black pepper, and a spicy twist: a chopped jalapeño pepper. Serve with grilled salmon burgers or use to dip our corn fritter recipe in.
This recipe was part of our feature on Salmon Burgers and 5 Tasty Ways to Top Them.
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 15 mins
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped capers
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 2 medium lemons)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickle
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallion (from about 1 medium scallion, white and light green parts only)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Place all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.