A beautiful accompaniment for a summer BBQ.
A recipe from my blog: http://putaforkinit.wordpress.com/
There’s a fabulous dish my grandmother used to prepare. In fact there are hundreds, I’m sure. Through research I’ve uncovered the direct German name: “Himmel und Erde” (Heaven and Earth). It’s basically mashed potatoes with apples. Everyone can try it.
- Yield: Enough for four
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 20 minutes
- Active: 10 minutes
- 2 lb potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tbs caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 lb apple (your favourite crisp, crunchy apple) 1/2 inch cubes as well
- 1 tbs sugar (I use honey)
- 2 tbs butter
- Bacon, cut into 1cm bits. Fried and reserved
- 1/4 cup of milk, scalded (boiled until frothy, WATCH the pot! It happens fast)
- Pepper / Salt
- Place the potatoes into cold, salted water with caraway seeds. Bring to a boil.
- When the potatoes start boiling, set a timer for 10 minutes.
- Add the apples when the 10 minute mark hits.
- Fry bacon, heat up milk. Add the butter to the milk to melt.
- When you insert a knife into the potato and it falls off back into the water by itself, it’s done.
- Strain and allow the potatoes and apples to dry a bit. Return to waterless pot and let dry for 2 minutes.
- Add the hot milk/butter, sugar and bacon bits. Mash and season with salt and pepper.