In this quick, healthy recipe for porridge adapted from Food & Wine magazine, quinoa simmers with dried figs, maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Milk and a sprinkling of chopped, toasted pecans and halved figs complete this nourishing breakfast.
Variation: To make this vegan, substitute almond milk for the skim.
See our fig recipes for more inspiration.
- Yields: 2 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 20 mins
- Active: 5 mins
- 1/2 cup dried figs, stemmed
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup toasted walnut halves
- Cut half the figs into small dice. Cut the remaining figs in half and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa with the diced figs, cinnamon stick, and nutmeg.
- Add the water, milk, maple syrup, and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- Divide the porridge into bowls, sprinkle with the halved figs and walnuts, and serve with milk.