For this ground beef gyros recipe adapted from Food.com, spiced meat is stuffed into pitas with lettuce, tomato, and onion, served with yogurt sauce.
- Yield: 4 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 25 mins
- Active: 10 mins
For the sauce:
- 1 (8-ounce) container plain yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
For the filling:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 pita breads
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Make the yogurt sauce: In a bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a separate bowl, combine the ground beef and seasonings. Mix well. Shape into 4 patties.
- Grill, covered, (you can also use a toaster oven or broil these) over medium to high heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, turning once.
- To assemble, cut patties into thin slices. Stuff into pitas. Add lettuce, tomato, and onion. Serve with yogurt sauce.