There are quite a few posts asking for suggestions recently, so I thought I would post this complete meal rec. For those of you who don’t like long ingredient lists or long prep sections – this is for a complete Korean meal, not a single dish. This Recipe is for a complete meal featuring Samgyeopsal Gui (Grilled Pork Belly)
Suggested Equipment: Tabletop Burner (Propane stove, hibachi, etc) Grill plate/cover
- Yields: 4 to 6 Servings
- Difficulty: Medium
- Total: 2:00
- Active: :25
- 2 lbs Pork Belly (Side Pork, Fresh Bacon)
- 2 to 3 cups short or medium grain white rice
- 1 1/4 cups water per 1 cup of rice
- (1 cup uncooked rice yields approximately 2 cups cooked rice)
Ssamjang (dipping sauce for lettuce and cucumber)
- 1/4 cup of soybean paste (Korean-doenjang/Japanese-Miso)
- 1/2 cup gochujang (Korean chili paste)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 fresh red chili pepper
- 1 fresh green chili pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 green/spring onion
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- water as needed
- Optional – 1 teaspoon rice wine
Seasoned Spring Onions with Chives
- 8 to 12 small Spring or green onions (Scallions)
- 2 ounces chives
Seasoning Sauce (for Spring Onions and Chives
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice wine or refined rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Anchovy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon fine ground chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Roasted Sesame oil
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves (1 teaspoon minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Toasted sesame seed
- 1 or 2 heads Red Leaf Lettuce
- 20 Perilla leaves (Korean sesame leaves or ggaennip)
- Thin sliced pickled white radish (http://www.chow.com/recipes/12006)
- 5 Green chili (jalapeño) peppers
- 8 to 12 cloves fresh garlic
- 8 ounces Enoki mushrooms
- 2 large or 3 medium Cucumber
- Preparation: Partially freeze the pork belly for ease in slicing.
- Prepare and cook the Rice:– Choose Rice:– Use a Calrose style Short or Medium Grain white rice, although any uncooked short or medium grain plain (unflavored) white rice will work. Some types of rice are covered with talc and will need to be rinsed thoroughly prior to use. Others are vitamin enriched and do not require rinsing. Be sure to read the manufacturers label. DO NOT USE INSTANT OR MINUTE RICE!!!. Rinse thoroughly if needed. (Talc coated) Place rice in a large pot or bowl and completely cover with cold water. Water level should be about 3 inches higher than the rice level. Soak for 1/2 to one hour, then drain. Cooking: Rice Cooker: Follow manufacturers instructions. Stove Top: Place soaked rice in a non stick cooking pot. Add water (1 1/2 cup water per 1 cup rice). Bring to a full boil over high heat and cook for about 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low (drop to a simmer), cover, and cook about 10 more minutes. Do not remove cover or otherwise disturb the rice. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes with the cover on, then fluff gently(stir from bottom to top) just prior to serving.
- Prepare the Ssamjang– Finely chop (mince) the garlic, chili peppers, and green onion. In a small mixing bowl, add all Ssamjang ingredients and mix well. Add a small amount of water if needed to maintain a mixable paste. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Spoon Ssamjang into two small serving dishes.
- Prepare the Seasoned Spring Onions with Chives– Rinse Spring Onions and chives in cold water. Trim off the root end. Remove any discolored/limp leaves. Slice the onions in half from top to bottom. Cut chives into thirds (three equal lengths). Place the chives and onion into a mixing bowl and set aside. Mince or press the garlic cloves. Place a small fry pan (no oil) over high heat and add the sesame seeds. Shake or stir the seeds continuously while cooking to a golden brown (about two minutes). Remove from heat and let cool. Mix all Chive Sauce ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Prepare Wrap Ingredients and Additions:– Separate lettuce leaves, rinse, and drain. Gently pat dry and place on a serving plate. Rinse and drain Perilla Leaves, then place on a small serving plate. Thin slice the garlic and peppers, and place in separate small dishes. Place the Enoki Musrooms into a pan very lightly oiled with roasted sesame oil and toast over high heat until lightly browned. Place Mushrooms into a small plate. Cut large cucumbers into thirds or small cucumbers into halves cross-wise. Cut each section in half lengthwise, then quarter the resulting pieces, also lengthwise. Place on a small serving plate.
- Pork Belly:– Slice partially frozen pork belly crosswise into 1/8″thick pieces. Very lightly salt and pepper the sliced pork belly and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- Final: – Mix the Spring Onions and Chives with the seasoning sauce and place onto a serving plate. Place all serving plates onto the table. Heat the grill plate to medium high.(If you do not have the table top burner and grill plate, you can use a mesh covered BBQ grill, or a frying pan on the stove top) Rub the plate with a piece of the pork belly or a small amount of cooking oil. Place a single layer of pork belly pieces on the grill plate and cook until lightly browned on each side(about 30 seconds per side).
- How to eat: Lettuce: Wrap a small amount of rice and a piece of porkbelly (add pepper and garlic slice if desired) and top with a dab of Ssamjang. Add a perilla leave and/or daikon slice)if you want. Perilla leaf or daikon slice: Wrap a piece of meat topped with pepper and/or garlic slice. Dip in Ssamjang. Cucumber: Dip spears into Ssamjang and eat. Use the kimchi or seasoned onion with chives with a mouthfull of steamed rice.. Or just mix and match any way you want. Have fun and enjoy.