Lime zest and juice, olive oil, cilantro, a jalapeño pepper, and garlic create a flavorful marinade for grilled chicken breasts in this recipe adapted from Betty Crocker. The chicken breasts are pounded first to even them out, so they grill evenly. Serve with Spanish rice. For dessert, our Key Lime Pie recipe makes the perfect pairing.
- Yields: 4 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 35 mins, plus at least 30 mins marinating time
- Active: 20 mins
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 1 1/4 pounds
- Place each chicken breast smooth between pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper side down. Pound gently with the flat side of a meat mallet or rolling pin until about 1/4 inch thick. Set aside.
- To a large zipper-top bag, add the lime zest and juice, olive oil, cilantro, sugar, salt, jalapeño, and garlic. Add the chicken and seal, then shake the bag a few times to distribute. Place on a baking sheet and refrigerate at least 30 minutes but no longer than 4 hours.
- Heat coals or a gas grill to medium-high.
- Remove chicken from the bag and discard the marinade. Grill the chicken about 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until done. Rest 10 minutes before serving.