If black licorice were to turn into liqueur, it’d be akin to the flavor of this delicate yet stiff digestif.
What to buy: We chose Everclear 151 grain alcohol to use in our digestifs; it picks up the flavoring elements much faster than vodka.
- Yield: 3 1/3 cups
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: Under 5 mins, plus steeping time
- Active: Under 5 mins
- 1/4 cup fennel fronds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 2 cups grain alcohol, such as Everclear 151
- 1 1/2 cups Rich Simple Syrup
- Combine fronds and seeds in a 1-quart glass jar with a tightfitting lid, add alcohol, cover, and let steep, undisturbed, at room temperature, for 6 days.
- After 6 days, remove fronds and seeds, and add rich simple syrup. Stir to combine. Store in the freezer.