The ultimate hangover cocktail, a good Bloody Mary makes everything better. We’ve switched it up with tequila, pickled jalapeños, and an eye-opening dose of cayenne pepper.
What to buy: Buy whole pickled jalapeños from a well-stocked market or Latin grocery, or make your own.
- Yield: 1 drink
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: Under 5 mins
- Active: Under 5 mins
- Ice cubes
- 2 ounces tequila blanco
- 4 ounces tomato juice
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 4 to 6 dashes hot sauce, such as Cholula
- 1/2 teaspoon brine from pickled jalapeños
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Several twists of black pepper from the pepper mill
- Generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of celery seeds
- 1 whole pickled jalapeño, for garnishing
- 1 celery stick, for garnishing
- Drop a handful of ice cubes into a cocktail shaker. Add the tequila, tomato juice, horseradish, Worcestershire, hot sauce, jalapeño brine, salt, black pepper, lemon juice, cayenne, and celery seeds. Shake until chilled, about 15 seconds.
- Strain into a large Old Fashioned glass half-filled with ice cubes. Garnish with the pickled jalapeño and celery stick and serve.