A classic French egg, ham, and cheese crêpe recipe, perfect for brunch, lunch, or a light supper.
Game Plan: You’ll need to make the batter for Basic Crêpes before you begin.
- Yield: 1 crêpe
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 25 mins
- Active: 10 mins
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup crêpe batter (see Game Plan note)
- 1 slice ham
- 1 slice Swiss or cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- Turn the broiler on and arrange a rack about 6 inches from the heating element.
- Heat a nonstick crêpe or frying pan over medium heat and add enough crêpe batter to make a thin crepe (see recipe link in the note above).
- When the underside is almost done, add the ham slice to the center of the crêpe. Follow with the cheese slice.
- When the cheese starts to soften and looks like it’s just beginning to melt around the edges, use a spatula or palette knife to fold in the crêpe on four sides to create a square.
- Break the egg into the middle of the crêpe, the part uncovered by the folded-in sides. Cook until the white begins to turn opaque, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to the broiler and cook until the white is firm and the yolk is just beginning to set, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the crêpe to a warmed plate and serve.