Let’s not overcomplicate things, shall we? Sometimes you want a classic, no-fuss grilled cheese. Forget the fancy bread, caramelized onions, pears, or whatever else you can do to multiply the steps in creating this simple tradition. Here’s something to cook when you don’t feel like cooking.
And if you do want to complicate this meal, you can keep tradition and add this Classic Tomato Soup recipe or mix it up just a tiny bit with this very simple Mixed Greens salad recipe, which includes our Classic Vinaigrette recipe.
- Yields: 1 sandwich
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 15 mins
- Active: 15 mins
- 2 slices soft white bread
- 1/2 cup mild cheddar and Monterey Jack (mix), grated
- 1 to 2 tablespoons salted butter
- Carefully spread butter over all four sides of the two slices of bread. This kind of bread is delicate! It’s a little messy trying to do this.
- Place the two slices down onto a skillet preheated to medium-low and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Use a spatula to move the bread around in the skillet to keep one side from burning.
- Flip over one slice of bread and add the cheese. Then move the browned side of the other slice over the top of the cheese and press down very slightly.
- After a few more minutes, flip over and brown the other side.