This dish combines spicy cool salsa verde with a hot grilled shrimp for a refreshing meal that is especially good in spring and summer.
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 20 minutes
- Active: 20 minutes
- 24 jumbo fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/5 pounds tomatillos, husked and washed
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup diced sweet, mild onion
- juice from 2 fresh limes
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- Reserve 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice. Combine the remaining lime juice with the chili powder and olive oil. Add a pinch of salt. Add shrimp and mix well to coat in the marinade.
- While the shrimp marinates, cut the tomatillos in half and place them cut side down on a baking sheet lined with foil. Broil under broiler for about 5 minutes, until the skins turn slightly black. Remove tomatillos from the oven.
- Add broiled tomatillos, 1 tablespoon lime juice, onions, jalapeno, and a pinch of salt to a blender or food processor and process until well mixed but still slightly chunky. Check seasoning and add more salt if needed. Put in the refrigerator to chill slightly.
- Stir shrimp in marinade the make sure they are well-coated. Grill the shrimp in a grill pan or on a gas or charcoal grill until just pink and cooked through.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the salsa verde to the bottom of a shallow serving bowl. Take 4 to 6 of the shrimp and place them tail up in the salsa, with the tails touching so the shrimp stand tail up in the salsa and serve.