We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
1 sandwichEasyTotal: 25 min Active: 25 min 1 Rating
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, seasoned with a pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 large egg, whisked with 1 teaspoon water
- 4 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- 1 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast, butterflied
- 4 tablespoons honey mustard
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- butter, softened
- 1 soft kaiser roll
- 4 ounces mozzarella, thinly sliced
- fresh basil (optional)
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.
If you’ve never made chicken Parmesan at home, now’s the time. It’s surprisingly easy, and just as good (or better) than anything you can get from a sub shop or Italian joint. This recipe was written for a Baking Steel Griddle, which ensures the breaded chicken is perfectly crunchy, golden, and juicy, but if you don’t have one you can always pan-fry. A toasted roll cradles the chicken with plenty of your favorite tomato sauce and melty mozzarella. Add some fresh basil if you’ve got it.
- Position your Baking Steel Griddle on the stovetop. Preheat on medium-high heat for 10 to 15 minutes, looking for a surface temperature of 300 to 325°F.
- Set up 3 separate bowls, one with the flour, one with the egg wash, and one with the panko. Set them up in that order, with the panko bowl closest to the griddle.
- Rub the chicken all over with the honey mustard.
- Dip the chicken first in the flour, then in the egg wash, then in the bread crumbs.
- Brush the Baking Steel Griddle with olive oil and place the chicken on the oiled surface. Cook the first side for about 3 minutes or until deep golden and toasty. Flip and cook on the second side; note that it may take slightly less time to cook than the first side.
- Near the end of the cooking time, heat your tomato sauce and butter both halves of your roll. Place the roll, butter-side down, on the griddle and toast to your liking.
- On the bottom bun, stack the chicken, sauce, cheese, another layer of sauce, and the top bun. If you’d like, you can add some basil too. Serve immediately.