This recipe is presented by Eggland’s Best.
Is it breakfast or is it dessert? Is it Italian or French? Who cares, when it’s so delicious?
For such a fancy fusion, the steps are relatively easy. Don’t forget to sprinkle your rolls with powdered sugar for the final flourish.
- Yields: 8 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 30 mins
- Active: 15 mins
For the filling:
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, freshly grated
For the French toast:
- 16 slices home-style white bread, crusts removed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large Eggland’s Best eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Land O Lakes butter
- Garnish with powdered sugar
- Combine all the filling ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Flatten the bread slices with a rolling pin and spread 1 tablespoon of filling over each bread slice to 1/2 inch from the sides and to 1 inch at the top.
- Roll up the bread slices, starting from the bottom.
- Place the milk, eggs, and cinnamon in a shallow bowl and whisk until combined.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat until sizzling.
- Dip 4 bread rolls into the egg mixture, then place in a skillet.
- Cook, turning occasionally, for 3 minutes or until lightly browned on all sides.
- Repeat with the remaining butter and bread rolls; wiping out the skillet between batches.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired, and enjoy!