This recipe is presented by Eggland’s Best.
For this healthy, creamy, and colorful sandwich, start with a ripe avocado. A California favorite, an avocado is ready to eat just after the skin turns from green to black, and it yields to gentle pressure.
Take the butter out of the refrigerator before you slice the red onion and tomatoes so it has time to soften. And choose a hearty, crusty Italian bread.
- Yields: 4 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 30 mins
- Active: 30 mins
For the avocado mixture:
- 1 ripe (1/2 cup) avocado, peeled, seeded
- 2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
For the sandwich:
- 4 tablespoons Land O Lakes butter, softened
- 4 large Eggland’s Best eggs
- 8 slices Italian bread
- 8 thin slices tomato
- 4 slices Land O Lakes Deli Provolone cheese
- Combine the avocado, onion, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Mash with a fork until well mixed, then set aside.
- Melt 1 teaspoon of butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until sizzling.
- Break 2 eggs into a pan, breaking the yolks with a spatula.
- Cook until it’s set on the bottom, 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the eggs over and continue cooking until the eggs are cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the pan; cover to keep warm.
- Repeat with 1 teaspoon butter and the remaining 2 eggs.
- To assemble each sandwich, spread 1 tablespoon of the avocado mixture onto 1 side of each bread slice. Top 1 slice of bread, spread-side up, with 1 fried egg, 2 slices of tomato, and 1 slice of cheese. Place 1 slice of bread, spread-side down, over the cheese. Butter the outside slices of bread with about 1 teaspoon of butter each.
- Place 2 sandwiches in the same skillet and cook over medium heat, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining 2 sandwiches.