Few things excite the taste buds like huevos rancheros in the morning. It’s old-school delicious in a way that reminds us of those college nights and bottomless brunches… speaking of which, if you can’t convince your friends to wake up and get out the door for this classic Mexican breakfast, get new friends.
Just kidding. Wake them up with the power of breakfast yourself.
In this flavor-forward version of one of our favorite meals, we top warm tortillas with BUSH’S® Black Bean Fiesta, fried eggs, and fresh salsa. To finish, each plate is garnished with a sprinkle of cheese and sliced avocado.
- 2 (6-inch) corn or flour tortillas
- Vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup BUSH’S® Black Bean Fiesta
- ¼ cup fresh salsa, divided
- Crumbled cotija or feta cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When it’s hot, toast tortillas in the skillet for 5–15 seconds on each side, or until they’re warm and soft. Remove tortillas from the skillet and set them aside.
- Add enough vegetable oil to the skillet to coat it thinly. When oil is hot, crack eggs into skillet. Fry eggs until the whites are set.
- While eggs are frying, pour Black Bean Fiesta into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave beans on high for 30–60 seconds, or until they’re hot. Alternatively, beans can be heated in a small pot on the stove.
- When eggs are finished frying, assemble the huevos rancheros: Spread each tortilla with ¼ cup warm beans. Top beans with a fried egg. Spoon 2 tablespoons salsa over top of each serving. Sprinkle with cotija or feta cheese and garnish with sliced avocado.
Nutritional info (for ½ recipe):
|Total fat||15.1 g|
|Saturated fat||3.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||26.1 g|
|Dietary fiber||6.0 g|