From The New York Cookbook
- Yields: 3
- Difficulty: Easy
- Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon soft unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 eggs, organic if possible
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- Toast or grilled bread, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter 4 shallow 1-cup ramekins, the type used for crème brulee. Sprinkle each with ½ tablespoon of the cheese and ¼ teaspoon of thyme leaves. Lightly dust with salt and pepper. Place ramekins in a baking pan at least 2 inches deep.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the cream into each ramekin. Break 2 eggs into each ramekin and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and lay a thyme sprig on top. Pour hot water into the baking pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Carefully place the baking pan in the oven and bake 8 to 10 minutes, until the whites are just set and the cream and cheese are bubbling and lightly browned. Serve at once, with toast or grilled bread.