Bacon, along with brie, Monterey Jack, and Parmesan cheeses flavor this delicious baked artichoke and spinach dip. Serve with plenty of chips—pita, tortilla, and/or bagel—for dipping.
- Yields: 2 1/2 cups
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 50 mins
- Active: 25 mins
- 2 (10-ounce) bags fresh baby spinach, rinsed, stems removed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick), plus more for the dish
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup cubed rindless brie cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 (6.5-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 4 strips bacon, fried crisp, drained, and chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Lightly butter a 9-inch round, oven-safe serving dish and set aside.
- Bring a medium pot of water to the boil. Add the spinach in batches and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and refresh under cold running water. Squeeze to remove all excess water and chop. Set aside.
- In a medium pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, to make a light roux, about 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and cream in a steady stream, and cook, stirring constantly, until thick and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked spinach and lemon juice and stir to incorporate. Add the brie and Jack cheeses, artichoke hearts, and bacon, and stir well. Remove from the heat and pour into the prepared dish. Top with the Parmesan and bake until bubbly, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.