Some write it on their hands; others have a secret Microsoft Word document. Whatever the method, a to-do list is key to achieving our goals. Check out Greatist’s tips for creating a killer task-organizer.
Quinoa Stuffed Peppers [Vegan]
This recipe and photo were created by contributor Kelli Dunn of The Corner Kitchen. Learn more about Kelli and this recipe by checking out her accompanying post, and check out her Greatist bio on our About Page!
I think there's a common misconception that a veggie-filled meal won't do a good job of filling you up and keeping you satisfied. I'm happy to share a meal that will prove the skeptics wrong! The filling for these Vegan Stuffed Peppers combines meaty black beans and protein-packed quinoa with spinach, tomatoes, and a mix of warm spices.
Recipe: Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
What You'll Need:
4 bell peppers, halved lengthwise
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for pan
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups baby spinach, chopped
3 cups cooked quinoa
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt and fresh ground pepper
Note: If you don't have chili powder, cumin, and paprika on hand or don't want to buy all three, you can substitute a low-sodium taco seasoning.
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Brush a thin layer of olive oil across the bottom of a large baking dish.
- To prepare the peppers, slice in half lenghthwise, remove the seeds, wash and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin and paprika, season with salt & pepper, and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the black beans, spinach, quinoa, and tomatoes, and mix together to fully combine. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in fresh cilantro.
- Use a spoon to fill peppers with quinoa stuffing.
- Arrange peppers in a large baking dish and cover with tinfoil. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove peppers from the oven. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve immediately.
Note: When reheating leftover peppers, sprinkle a spoonful of vegetable stock over the stuffing to keep it moist.
What's your favorite way to stuff bell peppers? Share with us in the comments below!