This year, celebrate game day without ruining those brand-new new year's resolutions. Bring some of these tasty and healthy snacks to the Super Bowl party and focus on the game, not the calories.
Recipe: Oatmeal Banana Bread
Got overripe bananas? Step away from the trashcan! Ripe bananas are perfect for this healthy banana bread recipe (the blacker the better!). This ballin’ bread contains all sorts of superfoods: oatmeal packs in fiber and prolongs feelings of fullness, bananas contain a hefty dose of vitamins and potassium, and the addition of dried cranberries adds a hint of sweetness and flavor. Plus, it only takes twenty minutes of active prep time!
Oatmeal Banana Bread
Photo by Caitlin Covington
Makes 1 loaf What You’ll Need:
2 whole, ripe bananas
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 ¼ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 cup dried cranberries
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the Topping: In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup oats, 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon melted butter; set aside.
- For the Bread: Mash bananas in a medium bowl, then stir in egg and milk. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, 1 cup oats, ½ cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. Stir just to combine (batter should be lumpy). Stir in cranberries.
- Pour mixture into a lightly greased loaf pan or muffin tin, and sprinkle with topping mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes. Loaf is done when a toothpick inserted in comes out clean or with some dry crumbs from the topping.
- Eat up!
Comments Leave a comment
Great recipe Caitlin.. A weeks worth of healthy snacks just like that.. Not sure why we always try to make healthy so time consuming and complicated
Just made this recipe in muffin form. Soooo good! I didn't have any pumpkin pie spice, but added 1 tsp of vanilla and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to the batter. Turned out very moist and super yummy!
How many calories is this?