Chocolate for breakfast? Consider cocoa powder your new best friend. Mixed with a healthy sweetener and some fiber and protein to back it up, cocoa can start your day off on the right foot—the one doused in chocolate. Quinoa is also an ingredient we don't associate with our morning routine, but the grain is by no means reserved to savory side dishes. Quinoa is one of the few grains that contains the nine essential amino acids our bodies can't produce themselves, and this super grain also boasts just over ten grams of fiber in one 1/2 cup serving. Not only will you love the taste of this recipe but also you will be satiated for longer, experience improved digestion, and keep your blood sugar levels tame. No more mid-day slump!
Recipe: Chocolate Banana Breakfast Quinoa
What You'll Need:
- 1/2 cup raw quinoa
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Dash of sea salt
- 1 banana, 1/2 mashed, 1/2 cut into slices
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh mint for garnish
What To Do:
- Bring 1/2 cup of quinoa, 1/2 cup water, 1 cup almond milk, and dash of sea salt to a boil in a small pot.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook stirring occasionally until all the liquid has been absorbed (about 10 minutes).
- Remove quinoa from stove and transfer to a bowl.
- Mix in the mashed banana, cocoa powder, vanilla, and honey. Stir until evenly combined.
- Pour the remaining 1/4 cup of almond milk over quinoa, garnish with banana slices and mint (if desired), and enjoy!
Do you eat quinoa for breakfast? Share your recipes in the comments below!