A new study found exercising with a partner who’s just a little bit better than we are can motivate us to work out harder.
Recipe: Black Bean and Quinoa Burgers
This recipe and photo were created by contributor Aylin Erman of Glow Kitchen. Learn more about Aylin and this recipe by checking out her accompanying post, and check out her Greatist bio on our About Page!
Here is the latest and greatest burger combination! The base consists of black beans and cooked quinoa. The addition of spices and nutritional yeast creates a flavorful burger with the nutritional profile to satisfy your protein and fiber needs as well as the heft to keep you satisfied. Quinoa is a complete protein and both it and black beans are high in fiber, making this version of a veggie burger great for digestion and heart health!
Recipe: Baked Black Bean and Quinoa Burgers
What You’ll Need:
1 can black beans (15.5 ounces)
1/2 cup cooked quinoa (prepared according to package directions)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
What to Do:
- Drain and rinse the can of black beans. Make sure your quinoa is fully cooked and on hand!
- In a medium bowl, combine the beans and cooked quinoa with the remainder of the ingredients.
- Using (clean) hands or a fork, thoroughly mix the ingredients together, mashing the beans as you go. This should form a paste-like mixture that is easy to form into patties.
- Divide the mixture into four equal balls, and form each into a patty between 1/4 and 1/2 an inch thick.
- In a medium saucepan over high eat, cook the patties in 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil for 1 minute on each side, or until lightly browned.
- Transfer the saucepan to a 400 degrees oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve on a whole-grain bun or "Greatist style" over fresh greens with your choice of fixings on top! Our favorite? A thick slice of tomato, fresh lettuce, and avocado slices dusted with paprika! (A little melted cheddar never hurts, either.)
What’s your favorite veggie burger? What other ingredients do you think would make the perfect base? Share your experiences with us in the comments below!
Comments Leave a comment
This is really tasty! The burgers are pretty soft even after cooking. Any ideas on firming them up?
Great recipe! I'll try it over the weekend. Here is a video on how to make quinoa that I thought you may like