The Greatist Recipe: Stuffed Squash
It’s officially autumn, which means it’s time to get out the gourds. And while they fare well as Halloween-décor, they are also quite delicious— and nutritious! This recipe has us using acorn squash, which serves as an edible bowl filled with protein-packed quinoa, spinach, and low-fat creamy ricotta!
Quinoa and Spinach Stuffed Acorn Squash
What You Need:
2 medium-sized acorn squash, halved
1 10oz box frozen spinach
1 cup quinoa
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
½ yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Sprinkle of Parmesan cheese
What To Do:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut acorn squash in half and spoon out seeds. Brush with 1 tbsp olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake for 50 minutes, or until soft.
3. Bring two cups of water to a boil and add quinoa. Bring quinoa to a simmer and then lower the heat. Cook until all the water is absorbed—about 15 minutes.
4. While the quinoa is cooking, heat a skillet on medium with 1 tbsp olive oil. Add onions and let cook for five minutes, or until they start to brown.
5. Add spinach and minced garlic, stirring constantly until the spinach defrosts and warms. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Combine cooked quinoa into the skillet with spinach, garlic, and onions, and add ricotta. Stir on low heat for two minutes.
7. Remove the squash from the oven and add the quinoa mixture. Place back in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the “stuffing” is hot.
8. Let cool for five minutes, add a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese, and enjoy!
You May Also Like
HEALTH SITE LIKE THIS.
Seriously, we cite every fact with a scientific study!
Once we put a Shake Weight to the test...
We help you find what healthy means to you.