Not only can ginger spice up the flavor of a recipe, it also packs a healthful punch of tummy-ache-fighting, sore-muscle-blasting, and potentially cancer-slowing compounds.
13 Legit Ways to Stop a Hangover
We understand. Staying fit, healthy, and happy sometimes means enjoying more than one glass of red wine. Still, there are healthier ways to help avoid hangovers and wake up ready to get back on track. Here are 13 scientifically-supported ways to help deal with that hangover— or even prevent it from happening in the first place!
1. Go one for one. It’s no secret that drinking water can help deflect that pounding AM headache (pretty much the opposite of a good morning). Tissues around the brain are mostly made of water, and dehydration will shrink these tissues, creating pressure in the head. Alcohol can lead to dehydration, so make sure to continuously drink water throughout the night . Try matching each alcoholic drink with one glass of water to avoid that next-day pain.
2. Chow down. No, just because beer has calories doesn’t mean it counts as dinner. Drinking on an empty stomach will allow alcohol to absorb faster, so try getting in a good meal with lots of healthy carbs before breaking out the bottle. Some research even shows a stomach full of food may help keep blood alcohol content at a lower level .
3. Keep it light. Darker drinks like red wine or rum contain congeners (substances produced during fermentation), which may contribute to causing hangovers. Skip the whiskey in favor of vodka or a glass of white wine!
4. Stay classy. More expensive liquors contain less filler congeners— a cause for headaches. So pass on the well liquor and take it up a notch with some top-shelf booze.
6. Skip the bubbles. Opt out of champagne or other alcohol that’s mixed with carbonated beverages. The bubbles may cause alcohol to be absorbed more quickly. (Hence that New Year’s Day hangover.)
7. Down-dog. Scientists have yet to prove that a few sun-salutations will whisk away a hangover, but breathing and meditation exercises in yoga can get oxygen flowing and blood pumping to help relieve stress. Namaste!
12. Get some fresh air. Oxygen increases the rate that alcohol toxins are broken down, so bundle up and get outdoors. A little exercise never hurt anyone— and it may even release some endorphins to boost that post-hangover mood.
13. Play D.D. We’re sorry to say that the only sure-fire way to avoid a hangover is to skip the booze altogether . So if waking up to a pounding headache doesn’t sound fun, play designated driver for the night (even if not actually driving).
- Dehydration: a new alcohol theory. Klemm, W.R. Department of Veterinary Anatomy, Texas A&M University, Texas. Alcohol, 1990 Jan-Feb;7(1):49-59.⤴
- Effects of meal composition on blood alcohol level, psychomotor performance and subjective state after ingestion of alcohol. Finnigan, F, Hammersley, R, Millar, K. Department of Psychology, Glasgow Caledonian University, Cowcaddens, UK. Appetite, 1998 Dec;31(3):361-75.⤴
- Effects of dietary taurine on egg production, egg quality and cholesterol levels in Japanese quail. Wang, F.R., Dong, X.F., Zhang, X.M., et al. State Key Laboratory of Food Science and Technology, Jiangnan University, Jiangsu Wuxi, China. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 2010 Dec;90(15):2660-3.⤴
- Effects of ginger on motion sickness and gastric slow-wave dysrhythmias induced by circular vection. Lien H.C., Sun, W.M., Chen, Y.H., et al. Department of Internal Medicine, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan. American Physiological Society Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology, 2003 Mar;284(3):G481-9.⤴
- Ethanol acutely stimulates islet blood flow, amplifies insulin secretion, and induces hypoglycemia via nitric oxide and vagally mediated mechanisms. Huang, Z, Sjoholm A. Karolinska Institutet, Department of Internal Medicine, Stockholm, Sweden. Endocrinology, 2008 Jan;149(1):232-6. Epub 2007 Oct 4.⤴
- Interventions for preventing or treating alcohol hangover: systematic review of randomised controlled trials. Pittler, M.H., Verster, J.C., Ernst, E. Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, Universities of Exeter and Plymouth. British Medical Journal, 2005 Dec 24;331(7531):1515-8.⤴
Comments Leave a comment
Has anyone tried those packets or drinks you see in gas stations that you are supposed to take before drinking to avoid a hangover? I was wondering if those have any affect what so ever. :/
@PaulWintergerst I've never tried any of those products, but typically they're just a crazy mix of a bunch of vitamins and minerals marketed in a pretty bottle with an attractive name. My guess is they'd work the same way as taking a simple multivitamin (which I'm convinced really works!), but that's just a guess. We DID try a "hangover patch" a few months back, and sadly, lschwech and I discovered they did not work so well. Hope this helps!
@ksmorin lschwech For sure thank you. I've wanted to give one a try but it's not like I will buy one and plan out ahead of time the nights I am going to go out and have 1 too many. ;) What is a hangover patch? Just on of the brands out there?
@PaulWintergerst Mercy works. You drink a can before bed or after every 4 drinks. It really works. http://www.drinkmercy.com/
what about ibuprofen and sleeping all day?
what about ibuprofen and sleeping all day?
First one and the tenth one are excellent tip. I have personal experience and I am sure it would give you better results. My tip to avoid hangover is, quit drinking.
the next morning, wash your face with coconut water or juice and drink at least one one liter of coconut water or juice.. you should be back in shape for the next drinking session by night. cheers!
A hangover is the same feeling as dying of thirst. So get as much water as you can. Who has woke up feeling skinny though? That's the dehydration. I guess there's a silver lining.
Eat sushi, and before you eat it, gobble a bunch of ginger, helps with the nausea.
I gain so much knowledge from this website. I also bookmark it for further knowledge. I like this post. I appreciate the great blog you have.
@boat propellers Honda Yeah, This is really interesting and Awesome. My friends, also talking about that.
I really like and appreciate your blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Keep writing.
You may want to visit this site too! http://www.bestofferdot.com