I think there's a common misconception that a veggie-filled meal won't do a good job of filling you up and keeping you satisfied. I'm happy to share a meal that will prove the skeptics wrong! The filling for these Vegan Stuffed Peppers combines meaty black beans and protein-packed quinoa with spinach, tomatoes, and a mix of warm spices.
What You'll Need:
- 4 bell peppers, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for pan
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
Note: If you don't have chili powder, cumin, and paprika on hand or don't want to buy all three, you can substitute a low-sodium taco seasoning.
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Brush a thin layer of olive oil across the bottom of a large baking dish.
- To prepare the peppers, slice in half lenghthwise, remove the seeds, wash and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin and paprika, season with salt & pepper, and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the black beans, spinach, quinoa, and tomatoes, and mix together to fully combine. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in fresh cilantro.
- Use a spoon to fill peppers with quinoa stuffing.
- Arrange peppers in a large baking dish and cover with tinfoil. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove peppers from the oven. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve immediately.
Note: When reheating leftover peppers, sprinkle a spoonful of vegetable stock over the stuffing to keep it moist.