There's a common misconception that a veggie-filled meal won't do a good job of filling you up and keeping you satisfied. This meal that will prove the skeptics wrong! The filling combines meaty black beans and protein-packed quinoa with spinach, tomatoes, and a mix of warm spices.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for pan
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chopped baby spinach
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 bell peppers, halved lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush a thin layer of olive oil across the bottom of a large baking dish.
- In a large sauté pan heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin, and paprika, season with salt and pepper, and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add black beans, spinach, quinoa, and tomatoes, and mix together to fully combine. Cook until mixture is heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro.
- Fill peppers with quinoa stuffing. Arrange peppers in prepared baking dish and cover with tinfoil. Bake for 25 minutes.