I never fathomed baking an avocado — the thought of it actually puts me off. But after seeing the avocado-egg image appearing on my favorite food blogs, I decided to try it out for myself (with a bit of a twist). This recipe is super easy and quite delicious. It includes two healthy fats: avocado and egg yolk. With some sheep's milk feta cheese and a dash of spice, it goes without saying that I was pleasantly surprised!
Recipe: Baked Avocado-Egg Bowl
What You'll Need:
2 ounces feta cheese
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Dash of salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the avocado lengthwise, twist the two sides, and pull apart. Remove the pit.
- Make the hole in the middle of each half of the fruit a bit bigger by scraping out some of the meat with a spoon. (This is so that the hole can accommodate the whole eggs!)
- Lay the avocado halves skin-side down in a baking dish.
- Carefully crack one egg in each avocado half's core.
- Season with salt and pepper, and drop pieces of the feta cheese on top of the egg.
- Place the baking dish in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the egg is cooked to your liking.
- Season with the red pepper flakes and serve with chopped parsley.
Have you tried the famous baked-egg-in-an-avocado trick? What's your favorite variation? Share with us in the comments below!