We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Greatist only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Do you have a collection of beauty products that didn’t quite make the grade? Do you struggle to decide which ones to take on your travels? Well, good news — one product can do it all, and it’s natural, gentle, and fabulous for your skin. Introducing jojoba!
Jojoba oil is derived from the seeds of the jojoba plant, also known as Simmondsia chinensis, which is native to Mexico and the southwestern United States. This all-in-one plant-based wonder has long been used in traditional medicine thanks to its endless benefits. It’s the closest thing to your skin’s own sebum, so it’s no surprise that it’s excellent for moisturizing and as a remedy for everything from chapped lips to dry, itchy scalps.
But the benefits of jojoba don’t stop there — you can also use this multitasking oil as a makeup remover, hair conditioner, shaving cream, or even as a massage oil. Plus, it’s noncomedogenic, so it won’t clog pores and is gentle enough for most skin types.
If you’re looking for a new beauty bestie, here’s a roundup of the top 12 jojoba oils for gorgeous skin and hair.
- Best budget choice: Cliganic USDA Organic Jojoba Oil
- Best for dry skin: Viva Naturals Organic Jojoba Oil
- Best for travel: Now Solutions Jojoba Oil
- Best for sensitive skin: Desert Essence Organic Jojoba Oil
- Best for multiple skin types: Maple Holistics Jojoba Oil
- Best nongreasy: Sky Organics Jojoba Oil
- Best for hair: Pura D’or Organic Jojoba Oil
- Best natural choice: Mother Nature Organics Cold-Pressed Jojoba Oil
- Best oil control: Healing Solutions Organic Jojoba Oil
- Best for quick absorption: Kate Blanc Cosmetics Jojoba Oil
- Best for a splurge: Ogee Jojoba Glow Face Oil
- Best for multipurpose: Teak Naturals Cold Pressed Organic Jojoba Oil
We used a few key metrics to pick our fave jojoba oil products. Here’s what we looked for:
- Ingredients. Jojoba should be the star of the show, but other beneficial ingredients are allowed.
- Reviews. Every brand sings the praises of their products, so we checked out reviews from real customers to find out the tea.
- Price. We’ve included jojoba oil at various price points, from steals to splurges.
- Vetted products only. The products on our list have been through a thorough vetting process. We’ve left no stone unturned while checking for unsupported health claims or shady business practices. Only brands that create high quality products have made the final cut.
Here are 12 of the best jojoba oils on the market, in our humble opinion!
- $ = under $10
- $$ = $10–$30
- $$$ = over $30
Best jojoba oil for those on a budget:
- cruelty-free and vegan
- unrefined and organic
- lightweight formula
- Some reports of skin irritation
You don’t need to part with a lot of loot to get your hands on Cliganic’s Jojoba Oil, as it’s priced under $10. This quick-absorbing oil is a popular choice, with nearly 50,000 positive reviews.
It’s a great option for all skin types as it can help balance oil production without leaving a greasy residue. The oil is antibacterial, which could help with acne-prone skin. You also benefit from the noncomedogenic formula that contains no chemicals and is gentle enough for sensitive skin. Plus, people love the subtle scent.
Best jojoba oil for dry skin:
- preservative and hexane-free
- nongreasy and quickly absorbed
- strong scent
If your skin is crying out for hydration, then Viva Naturals Organic Jojoba Oil is a solid choice. It’s packed with essential fatty acids to nourish your skin and leave it feeling soft and hydrated. Although it’s a powerful moisturizer, it absorbs quickly without leaving a sticky residue.
Best jojoba oil for travel:
- vegan and cruelty-free
- hexane and paraben free
- mild fragrance
- some reports of irritation
Now Solutions jojoba oil comes in a 1-ounce bottle, so it’s ideal for throwing in your purse and using any time you need a moisture boost. Plus, it’s an all-in-one facial, body, and hair oil that doesn’t take up much space on your travels.
Made from cold-pressed jojoba seeds, it provides high quality jojoba oil suitable for all skin types. And according to some reviews, it helps with skin texture.
Best jojoba oil for sensitive skin:
- alcohol and detergent free
- no synthetic scents
- thicker consistency
If your skin’s more sensitive than a prize-winning racehorse, then Desert Essence Organic Jojoba Oil is an excellent choice. It’s completely free of alcohol, synthetic fragrances, and nasty chemicals, meaning it’s unlikely to irritate sensitive skin.
Some peeps dislike the thick consistency, while for others, it’s a benefit. Either way, its moisture-rich formula kisses dryness goodbye and helps soften skin without leaving a greasy residue. Instead, you’re left with just hydrated, radiant skin.
Best for multiple skin types:
- suits all skin types
- can leave skin feeling greasy
Maple Holistics Jojoba Oil is suitable for a variety skin types and can take care of everyone in the family, even young kids.
You can use the hydrating formula to pep up your hair and hydrate your skin. It’s a rich source of essential fatty acids that nourish dehydrated skin, which may reduce the appearance of fine lines.
Although most reviewers love this product, some find that the oil leaves the skin feeling a bit greasy.
Best nongreasy jojoba oil:
- nongreasy, fast-absorbing formula
- vegan and cruelty-free
- poor packaging
If you’re looking for the benefits of jojoba oil without the greasiness, then Sky Organics has got your back. The quick-absorbing formula leaves your skin feeling plump and hydrated but with zero greasy feel.
It’s also a great choice for sensitive skin as it’s free from fragrances, parabens, and other harsh chemicals. It’s also unlikely to clog pores, and reviewers with oily skin love that this product does not cause breakouts.
Best jojoba oil for hair:
- nonirritating formula
If you have frizzy, dry, or damaged hair, Pura D’or Organic Jojoba Oil is a godsend. This hard-working product is light and nongreasy, so it won’t weigh down your locks. You can use it as a leave-in treatment or as a pre-shampoo oil to help protect your hair from daily damage. And yes, you can use it on your skin, lips, and nails too.
The organic, unrefined oil is also nonirritating, making it ideal for those with a sensitive scalp or easily irritated skin. Reviewers also rave about the subtle nutty scent.
Best natural jojoba oil:
- preservative and hexane-free
- suitable for all skin types
- cruelty-free and vegan
Preservatives are added to products to help extend their shelf life. But they can also cause irritation and skin sensitivity for some peeps. So, if you’re looking for natural, preservative-free jojoba oil, look no further than Mother Nature Organics. The oil is also hexane-free, which is a solvent that’s used to extract oil from seeds. It’s a by-product of the petroleum industry and has been linked to health concerns.
This organic oil is suitable for all skin types, and you can use it to help with everything from eczema to damaged nails. It could also promote hair growth.
Best oil control jojoba oil:
- doesn’t leave a residue
- chemical and preservative-free
- slightly unpleasant scent
With Healing Solutions Organic Jojoba Oil, there’s no need to worry about clogged pores and oil control. This organic oil is noncomedogenic, meaning it’s formulated to leave pores clear and your skin radiant and oil-free.
It’s also completely free of chemical nasties, which is great news for anyone with sensitive skin that’s easily irritated. The oil is also light and nongreasy, so it won’t leave a residue.
Although it’s a popular oil, some reviewers don’t enjoy its scent.
Best jojoba oil for quick absorption:
- rapidly absorbed
- suitable for all skin types
- free from hexane and other chemicals
- pricier than other options
Life is busy enough without waiting for your skin products to soak in and work their magic. If you want a jojoba oil that absorbs quickly, Kate Blanc Cosmetics Jojoba Oil is the one for you.
Your skin can rapidly absorb this organic oil, and you won’t be left feeling greasy. It’s also suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin, as it’s free from hexane and other harsh chemicals.
The only downside is that it’s pricier than some of the other options on this list. But reviewers say it’s still a worthwhile buy.
Best jojoba oil for a splurge:
- certified organic
- vegan and cruelty-free
- made in the USA
If you’re looking to splurge on high performance, high quality jojoba oil, Ogee Jojoba Glow Face Oil is worth the investment. This certified organic oil is vegan and cruelty-free. And it’s made in the USA using ingredients including ylang-ylang, marigold flower oil, and geranium oil.
Many peeps report that it leaves their skin soft, supple, and glowing, thanks to its vitamins and antioxidants. And people also love the delicious scent and cute packaging.
Best multipurpose jojoba oil:
- delicate formula
This natural oil from Teak Naturals can do it all — it helps with stretch marks, beard itch, acne, sunburn, scars, and more. You can use it on your hair, nails, and lips, and apparently, it absorbs in the blink of an eye without any sticky or waxy residue.
It has a delicate, unrefined formula that’s cold-pressed to preserve its healing properties. Although there are no added fragrances, it has a natural, slightly nutty, pleasant scent.
You can safely use undiluted jojoba oil and other products directly on your skin. But it’s best to do a patch test first to see if you have any reactions. Simply apply a few drops of jojoba oil to your inner wrist or forearm and cover with a bandage. Leave for 24 hours and then check the skin for signs of irritation or redness. If your skin looks happy, you’re good to go.
Use jojoba as a luxurious skin moisturizer, and lip balm, or whip it up into a DIY facemask. You can also use it to remove oil-based makeup as it’s safe to use around the eyes. Feel free to use a dab of jojoba as often as you need to, because it’s gentle and won’t clog pores.
To keep your jojoba oil in tip-top condition, store it in an airtight container in a dry, dark place at room temperature.
You’ll most likely be safe using jojoba on your skin, although some peeps could experience rashes and allergic reactions. So, it’s always best to do a patch test when using a new product to see if it irritates your skin.
But don’t be tempted to add jojoba oil to your diet, as it contains erucic acid, which can cause serious side effects like organ damage.
If you’re ready to enjoy some of the benefits of jojoba oil, here’s how to pick the best product for you:
- Consider your skin type. If you have oily skin, a lighter consistency might suit you better. Whereas if your skin is dry and craving moisture, a thicker product may provide longer-lasting hydration.
- Look for organic. Superior products are organic, cold-pressed, and unrefined. Processed oil can contain preservatives and other ingredients that could irritate the skin.
- Check the ingredients. Make sure that jojoba is listed as the star of the show, not just an afterthought.
- Read the reviews. What do the masses think of the product? How are people rating their results after using the product? Are there any common themes across the reviews? These are questions you want answered before you make your decision.
When to see a doctor
Even if you do a patch test, sometimes your skin can decide it’s unhappy after using the product for some time. If your skin becomes red and irritated after using jojoba oil and it doesn’t ease up when you stop, it’s a good idea to check in with your skin doc and see what’s going on.
You should also see a doctor if you’ve been using jojoba oil to treat skin conditions like rosacea, eczema, or acne, and it isn’t improving. Although natural remedies are often helpful, they’re not always the answer and your doctor may be able to recommend something more effective.
If you find that jojoba oil just isn’t your jam, here are some good alternatives:
- Argan oil. Packed with vitamin E and antioxidants, argan oil could help protect your skin from environmental damage. It’s also noncomedogenic, so it won’t clog your pores.
- Coconut oil. Like jojoba oil, you can use coconut oil as a natural moisturizer. It’s also antimicrobial, so it can help fight acne-causing bacteria.
- Shea butter. If you love thick, creamy moisturizers, shea butter is a great option for providing intense skin hydration. It also has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects.
Let’s address some common questions.
Is jojoba an oil or wax?
Jojoba isn’t an oil. Nope, it’s a liquid wax! The oil from jojoba seeds differs from other plant oils because it doesn’t consist of triglycerides. Instead, it’s composed of liquid wax esters that resemble natural skin oils.
How long does jojoba oil last?
Because jojoba oil isn’t actually an oil, it doesn’t turn rancid like plant oils, and many manufacturers boast that their products have a 5-year shelf life. Not bad, right?
Can I leave jojoba oil on my face overnight?
Yes, you can leave jojoba oil on your face overnight without worrying about breakouts. That said, it might not suit some folks with oily skin or other skin problems. Give it a try during the day, and if your skin looks happy, you’re probably safe to leave it on overnight.
Can you always apply jojoba oil directly to the skin?
Yes, you can apply jojoba oil directly to your skin every time. In fact, it’s often used as a carrier oil for essential oils because it’s so gentle.
Is it okay to use jojoba oil on your face every day?
Yes, absolutely. Most folks can safely use jojoba oil on their face every day or even several times a day with no problems. But, as with all new products, do a patch test first to see if it suits you.
Jojoba is a plant-based moisturizer that resembles your skin’s natural oil. Although it’s often called jojoba oil, it’s actually a liquid wax.
It’s a gentle, nonirritating, and safe option for most peeps to use daily. Plus, it’s super versatile as you can use it to cleanse, moisturize, remove makeup, and condition your hair.
If you want to give jojoba oil a go, look for an organic, cold-pressed product. Start using it once a day, and if your skin’s happy, you can turn up the frequency dial.