These potato latkes from former Jane the Virgin star Yael Grobglas remind her of home (Tel Aviv), and transport her back there even when she can’t visit in person. The classic crunchy potato pancakes are perfect for Hanukkah, of course, but so delicious you’ll want to eat them all the time, for breakfast and for dinner. They’re great served with sour cream and chives, or try them topped with our Applesauce recipe.
See more TV stars dish on their favorite holiday foods.
- Difficulty: Medium
- 2-3 russet potatoes
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 tablespoons Matzo Meal
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- nutmeg, to taste
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Peel potatoes and onion, then grate into a medium-large bowl.
- Squeeze dry with paper towel. Combine egg, Matzo meal, spices. Form into patties.
- Heat oil on medium-high in a non-stick pan. Gently spoon 4-5 latkes at a time into oil, press down slightly to flatten.
- Fry until golden on both sides, about five minutes per side. Remove from pan and dry on paper towel.
- Serve with sour cream and chopped chives.
Photo Credit: modesigns58/Getty Images.