Mitch Prensky, chef-owner at Supper (now closed) in Philadelphia, shared this recipe with us. Hard-boiled egg yolks are mashed with lemon juice, mayonnaise, truffle oil, and chives, then scooped into the hard-boiled egg whites and topped with slices of black truffle, for a fancy riff on deviled eggs.
What to buy: There are many counterfeit truffles out there, so be sure to purchase yours from a reputable source. They should be firm and dry to the touch, and always store them properly so that you get your money’s worth.
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings as an appetizer
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 45 mins
- 12 eggs
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons black truffle oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Thinly sliced black truffle, for garnish (optional; chervil leaves may be substituted)
- Hard-boil the eggs; cool, peel, and halve them; and carefully remove the yolks. Reserve the whites.
- Combine the egg yolks, mayonnaise, mustard, truffle oil, lemon juice, and chives in a medium, nonreactive bowl. Season well with salt and pepper, then mix well until the yolks are broken up and the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Evenly pipe or spoon the yolk mixture into the reserved egg white halves. As desired, top with thinly sliced black truffle or chervil leaves.