In this vegetarian version of the popular Thai dish, we pan-fry tofu to lend it some texture and use soy sauce to pump up the flavor. Combined with crunchy broccolini and a sweet-salty sauce, it’s a satisfying, easy weeknight dinner.
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 50 mins
- 1 (14-ounce) package dried wide rice noodles
- 14 ounces firm tofu, drained and cut into large dice
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 pound broccolini, sliced on the bias into 1-inch-long pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 medium garlic cloves, sliced paper thin
- 2 large eggs
- Place the noodles in a large heatproof bowl and cover with hot tap water. Soak until loose and pliable, about 30 minutes. Separate the noodles by hand and drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the tofu cubes on a paper-towel-lined plate; set aside. Combine the soy sauce, 1/4 cup of the water, and brown sugar in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1/4 cup of water in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat until simmering. Add the broccolini, cover with a tightfitting lid, and cook until just beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Remove the lid and cook, stirring often, until the water has evaporated and the broccolini is just tender when pierced with a knife, about 2 minutes more. Remove the broccolini to a plate and set aside.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat, add the oil, and heat until shimmering. Add the reserved tofu and sauté, turning occasionally, until golden brown on all sides (be careful—the oil will splatter), about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the garlic, and cook until just beginning to color, about 15 seconds. Add the reserved soy sauce mixture, noodles, and broccolini and cook, tossing gently, until the noodles are soft, warmed through, and coated with sauce, about 4 minutes.
- Push the noodle mixture to one side of the pan, add the eggs, and scramble until they begin to set, about 30 seconds. Let the eggs cook undisturbed until solid, about 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and toss to evenly combine all the ingredients. Serve immediately.