For this classic summer berry salad recipe, an orange-flavored syrup bathes ripe, sweet strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries. This is all about using ripe, seasonal, flavorful fruit, so buy the best you can find.
- Yield: 4 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 45 mins
- Active: 20 mins
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 pound ripe fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered (or halved if small)
- 1 pint (5 ounces) ripe fresh blackberries, halved if large
- 1 pint (4.4 ounces) ripe fresh blueberries
- Chopped fresh mint leaves for garnish
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together the sugar, 1/4 cup water, the orange zest and juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the mixture becomes syrupy, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled.
- In a large serving bowl, toss together the berries. Drizzle the berries with the syrup. Toss gently, garnish with the mint, and serve.