Traditional falafel with a surprise—a creamy, salty cube of feta concealed in these crisp, fresh-tasting deep-fried chickpea balls. You need to start with dried chickpeas for this recipe, soaked in plenty of cold water for 24 hours (remember to plan accordingly!). Serve with our Tzatziki Sauce and/or Easy Hummus. Ready for something different? Pair these with our Hummus with Kalamata Olives.
- Yield: About 20 falafel
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 45 mins
- Active: 30 mins
- 1 1/3 cups dried garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas), soaked in plenty of cold water for 24 hours
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup (packed) flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup (packed) mint leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 ounces feta cheese, in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
- 2 to 5 tablespoons water
- Canola oil for frying
- Add the soaked and drained chickpeas to the bowl of a food processor along with the garlic, parsley, mint, cumin, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Blend to a smooth paste, adding 2 tablespoons of water gradually to make sure the falafel mixture ends up smooth. If the mixture is too dry to form a smooth mass, gradually add up to 3 more tablespoons water.
- Take 1/4 cup of the falafel mixture and flatten it against the palm of your hand. Place a cube of feta in the middle and wrap the falafel mixture around it so it’s fully enclosed. Roll into a ball and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Continue with the remaining falafel mixture, arranging the balls on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Add enough canola oil to a Dutch oven or other large, heavy pan to measure 3 inches from the bottom. Place over medium heat and, using a deep-fry thermometer, bring the oil to 375°F, adjusting the heat to maintain a steady temperature.
- Deep-fry the falafel in batches until cooked throughout and golden brown on the outside, about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels and continue frying until all the falafel are cooked. Serve immediately with tzatziki and/or hummus.