According to urban legend, the Shirley Temple was created by a bartender at Chasen’s, a Beverly Hills restaurant popular with the entertainment set in the 1930s. Rumor has it that a pint-sized regular liked to belly up with this grenadine-spiked soda. Chasen’s was shuttered in 1995, but here’s a refreshing homemade version of Shirley’s namesake drink for all you teetotalers and youngsters out there.
This recipe was featured as part of our Nonalcoholic Cocktails photo gallery.
- Yield: 1 drink
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: Under 10 mins
- Active: Under 10 mins
- 1 1/4 ounces grenadine
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 ounces club soda
- 2 maraschino cherries
- Place the grenadine, lemon juice, and lime juice in a tall glass and stir with a cocktail spoon or straw until combined.
- Fill the glass with ice and top with the club soda. Stir gently to combine.
- Garnish with the maraschino cherries and serve immediately.